RMTG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rochester MN MTG

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Possible Gatecrash Spoilers (Also, this place is boring. What's going on down in Rochester to kill the forums?)
what's the play? EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 1:30 am by Ran

» Return to Ravnica
what's the play? EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 1:52 am by Ran

» trading post
what's the play? EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 11:40 pm by Ran

» Bruna as Commander
what's the play? EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 11:21 am by Blacrowe

» Sacrifice!
what's the play? EmptyTue May 22, 2012 11:01 pm by MindofMyrddin

» U/R Mad Cards (Avacyn Restored)
what's the play? EmptySun May 13, 2012 9:00 pm by MindofMyrddin

» G/W Aggro GP Minneapolis
what's the play? EmptyThu May 10, 2012 2:59 pm by MindofMyrddin

» WTF is wizards doing to me.
what's the play? EmptyFri May 04, 2012 5:08 pm by Ran

» U/W Delver Spirit Mantle
what's the play? EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 3:48 pm by gunndaddyp

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

what's the play?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
workshoptelescope

workshoptelescope

what's the play? Empty
PostSubject: what's the play?   what's the play? EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 12:20 pm

i was having a conversational dispute (amiable, to be sure) regarding when it's proper to counter certain spells. we were exploring what tempo means for the caw-blade/tezz match, and specifically whether the mana ramping artifacts (manafacts, if you will) are worth countering early game. good cases were made for why and why not it might be the right play.
so, i thought i'd put it to public opinion (we do have some good players round these parts, after all) and see what you guys think.
you're caw-blade and tezz shows you a turn 2 manafact.
do you counter it? does it matter if you're on the play or draw? is it really dependent upon too many factors to have a solid answer?
Back to top Go down
magic jesus

magic jesus

what's the play? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what's the play?   what's the play? EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 2:43 pm

most scenarios it doesnt matter if they ramp into a 3rd turn tezz or a fourth turn tezz you wanna counter it. That deck should NEVER not play tezz turn 4 just because you wasted a counter on a chalice or whatnot. Actually vs tezz i dont think i counter any mana artifacts at all.
Back to top Go down
workshoptelescope

workshoptelescope

what's the play? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what's the play?   what's the play? EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 2:58 pm

magic jesus wrote:
most scenarios it doesnt matter if they ramp into a 3rd turn tezz or a fourth turn tezz you wanna counter it. That deck should NEVER not play tezz turn 4 just because you wasted a counter on a chalice or whatnot. Actually vs tezz i dont think i counter any mana artifacts at all.

even if they're also running the forgemaster plan? they need three artifacts for a number of things.
i'm not saying you're wrong (really), i'm just curious if birdblade is really afraid of anything that might happen other than tezz, himself.
Back to top Go down
magic jesus

magic jesus

what's the play? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what's the play?   what's the play? EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 3:03 pm

counter the master then. you only need to worry about threats in that matchup.
Back to top Go down
Knepps

Knepps

what's the play? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what's the play?   what's the play? EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 5:48 pm

I think that you allow the mana rampers in tezz, the game isn't like valakut where you must keep them from titan mana. You save your counters for the tezz, jace, and forgemasters.

If your countering the mana rampers then tezz has no 5/5s to protect it the turn it comes down. Allthough it is not very hard to dig for one with his +1.
Back to top Go down
workshoptelescope

workshoptelescope

what's the play? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what's the play?   what's the play? EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 6:52 pm

magic jesus wrote:

i am curious if you think it matters that the tezz lists run hand disruption or not, in considering what part tempo plays in the decision.
Back to top Go down
magic jesus

magic jesus

what's the play? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what's the play?   what's the play? EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 7:22 pm

workshoptelescope wrote:
magic jesus wrote:

i am curious if you think it matters that the tezz lists run hand disruption or not, in considering what part tempo plays in the decision.

not at all, if they use their hand disruption on a counter they arent using it on what they probably should be. It's actually the same logic im apply with the other deck.
Back to top Go down
workshoptelescope

workshoptelescope

what's the play? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what's the play?   what's the play? EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 7:27 pm

magic jesus wrote:

not at all, if they use their hand disruption on a counter they arent using it on what they probably should be. It's actually the same logic im apply with the other deck.

fair enough. i'm glad to see people interacting with the question. Smile
Back to top Go down
magic jesus

magic jesus

what's the play? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what's the play?   what's the play? EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 7:29 pm

workshoptelescope wrote:
magic jesus wrote:

come with me and dan to Gencon/Nats
Back to top Go down
workshoptelescope

workshoptelescope

what's the play? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what's the play?   what's the play? EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 7:32 pm

magic jesus wrote:
workshoptelescope wrote:
magic jesus wrote:

i hope i can try to. i don't have lots of dollars at the moment but i might just get by the way i always do: hustling dealers for entry fee money. i've started thinking about the format again. i think i found one or two decks i like that are not birdstick-go.
also, thanks for the trade, man.
Back to top Go down
magic jesus

magic jesus

what's the play? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what's the play?   what's the play? EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 8:13 pm

workshoptelescope wrote:
magic jesus wrote:
workshoptelescope wrote:
magic jesus wrote:

i hope i can try to. i don't have lots of dollars at the moment but i might just get by the way i always do: hustling dealers for entry fee money. i've started thinking about the format again. i think i found one or two decks i like that are not birdstick-go.
also, thanks for the trade, man.

np, im going to have a TON of trade stuff friday for anyone who wants to trades.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

what's the play? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what's the play?   what's the play? Empty

Back to top Go down

what's the play?
Page 1 of 1