RMTG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rochester MN MTG

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» Possible Gatecrash Spoilers (Also, this place is boring. What's going on down in Rochester to kill the forums?)
WTF is wizards doing to me. EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 1:30 am by Ran

» Return to Ravnica
WTF is wizards doing to me. EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 1:52 am by Ran

» trading post
WTF is wizards doing to me. EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 11:40 pm by Ran

» Bruna as Commander
WTF is wizards doing to me. EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 11:21 am by Blacrowe

» Sacrifice!
WTF is wizards doing to me. EmptyTue May 22, 2012 11:01 pm by MindofMyrddin

» U/R Mad Cards (Avacyn Restored)
WTF is wizards doing to me. EmptySun May 13, 2012 9:00 pm by MindofMyrddin

» G/W Aggro GP Minneapolis
WTF is wizards doing to me. EmptyThu May 10, 2012 2:59 pm by MindofMyrddin

» WTF is wizards doing to me.
WTF is wizards doing to me. EmptyFri May 04, 2012 5:08 pm by Ran

» U/W Delver Spirit Mantle
WTF is wizards doing to me. EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 3:48 pm by gunndaddyp

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

WTF is wizards doing to me.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Ran

Ran

WTF is wizards doing to me. Empty
PostSubject: WTF is wizards doing to me.   WTF is wizards doing to me. EmptyThu May 03, 2012 1:03 am

Am I the only one who's getting a little pissy with Wizards? I feel like they're crafting the meta into nothing but combat and creature beats with a bag of tricks.

Here's my cavern of souls, now you can't counter my guys. (oh yeah, did I mention it fixes my mana? cute.)

Here's my hexproof creature, now you can't remove my guy.

Who's ready for combat!!!

I remember a time when the meta was a mix of combo, aggro, midrange, and control. Now everything is tempo. Is there even a legitimate combo deck in std?

No sir, I don't like it.

/rant
Back to top Go down
Andrew

Andrew

PostSubject: Re: WTF is wizards doing to me.   WTF is wizards doing to me. EmptyFri May 04, 2012 4:13 pm

You have some valid points, and I do agree that hexproof seems to be a bit overused lately, but I can't agree about combat; half of the cards in AVR have a SIGNIFICANT impact on how combat could play out.

Other than that, I would be inclined to agree with you, but there are a few exceptions, as well as a minimal amount of lackluster solutions to the problem. Firstly, I'd like to point out that a new set has just been released, so possibilities for innovation are at a high.

Brewing is really the best way to help the meta evolve, imo, so maybe rather you could try posting here with a post encouraging everyone here to chip in their two cents to brew a deck of a given archetype. With a community working on a deck rather than and individual, I'm sure you can receive a lot of valuable input that way, and maybe make something worthwhile. (Bonus points are that it could give you something to write about on SGM).

With the new set coming out, you could also revisit old, tier-2 combo possibilities (necrotic ooze, heartless lich combo), and look for new synergies that could maybe give the decks the boost they need, although I don't really feel they have the potential.

Lackluster solution no. 1: I would personally suggest that waiting until the next rotation would be the best way to see whether this a trend that will be continued. I think we all know Titans are a bit ridiculous, so waiting for them to be gone could offer a lot of help. Additionally, I'd like to point out that wasn't long ago before we had combo and combo-ish decks around (Splinter-Twin and Dredgevine).

Lackluster solution no. 2: Type 2 isn't the only Magic format. I haven't been around much lately, but I know that after I tried to push Legacy down in Rochester, we had a decent turn-out that week and weeks following. It may not be your favorite thought, but I'd say explore new formats where your card pool is larger, and every archetype is viable. (Also, legacy insight on SGM would be cool as well. You could even probably build a deck online for less than with cardboard counterparts and showcase it in videos.)

If you're looking for combo, Legacy can offer you:
Dredge
Spanish Inquisition
Cephalid Breakfast
Charbelcher
High Tide
Food Chain
Hive Mind
and more...

There are plenty of decks for every archetype as well.

Lackluster solution no. 3) Cube: Another format, more inexpensive, and you can build your cube to encourage any archetype(s) you would like.

I'm sure there are a lot of other solutions for the short term, but only time will tell whether a long-term solution may need to be found.

-Andrew
Back to top Go down
Yoman

PostSubject: Re: WTF is wizards doing to me.   WTF is wizards doing to me. EmptyFri May 04, 2012 4:53 pm

I think Wizards just try their best to balance happiness amongst the different style of players season to season. I'm still pained when I think of the std Caw Blade environment, but undeniably every control player's dick was rock hard at that time. It's the aggro player's turn to get off while playing Magic.
Back to top Go down
Ran

Ran

PostSubject: Re: WTF is wizards doing to me.   WTF is wizards doing to me. EmptyFri May 04, 2012 5:08 pm

I guess I'll just have to switch back to Tap Out control. Brush the dust off my sun tits and start finding sweet 3 mana permanents. Blink all night, blink all day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WTF is wizards doing to me.   WTF is wizards doing to me. Empty

Back to top Go down

WTF is wizards doing to me.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RMTG :: Standard-
Jump to: