RMTG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rochester MN MTG

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» Possible Gatecrash Spoilers (Also, this place is boring. What's going on down in Rochester to kill the forums?)
Rumors and whispers EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 1:30 am by Ran

» Return to Ravnica
Rumors and whispers EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 1:52 am by Ran

» trading post
Rumors and whispers EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 11:40 pm by Ran

» Bruna as Commander
Rumors and whispers EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 11:21 am by Blacrowe

» Sacrifice!
Rumors and whispers EmptyTue May 22, 2012 11:01 pm by MindofMyrddin

» U/R Mad Cards (Avacyn Restored)
Rumors and whispers EmptySun May 13, 2012 9:00 pm by MindofMyrddin

» G/W Aggro GP Minneapolis
Rumors and whispers EmptyThu May 10, 2012 2:59 pm by MindofMyrddin

» WTF is wizards doing to me.
Rumors and whispers EmptyFri May 04, 2012 5:08 pm by Ran

» U/W Delver Spirit Mantle
Rumors and whispers EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 3:48 pm by gunndaddyp

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Rumors and whispers

Go down 
+2
Ran
workshoptelescope
6 posters
AuthorMessage
workshoptelescope

workshoptelescope

Rumors and whispers Empty
PostSubject: Rumors and whispers   Rumors and whispers EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 9:34 am

Rumor is a June 20th banning of Stoneforge Mystic.
Regardless of what does happen (taking bets now that they won't), should they ban it?

It does seem like the format is worse than standard has been since Mirrodin, when it was in desperate need of mending. But banning Mystic would also put an axe to decks that have otherwise died because of the Caw-blade. They would never ban a Planeswalker, so banning a creature like Mystic seems to be the only available option, if only to move the format forward.

So, what do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
Ran

Ran

PostSubject: Re: Rumors and whispers   Rumors and whispers EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 11:12 am

I hope they don't. I've given into the devil which is caw-blade and I've been doing well. UW finally dominates the meta and there's talk of banning. Where was the ban hammer when Faeries was running rampant? I see no problem with the meta. I enjoy it. Just let all the UW enthusiasts live the dream for a while. Rotation will happen soon enough.

My opinion on meta issues is typically don't ban, print cards in the new set that will shift the meta in a different direction. Besides, Vamps just won. Caw-blade's reign of terror has ended. Call off the dogs.
Back to top Go down
Knepps

Knepps

PostSubject: Re: Rumors and whispers   Rumors and whispers EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 5:36 pm

I just wish they could just ban Batterskull.
Back to top Go down
workshoptelescope

workshoptelescope

PostSubject: Re: Rumors and whispers   Rumors and whispers EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 10:42 pm

Knepps wrote:
I just wish they could just ban Batterskull.

see, i've thought about that but batterskull would hardly be the issue that it is if it weren't for stoneforge.
a five mana artifact, life linking and hard to kill to be sure, but not the end of the format. stoneforge isn't even entirely the problem child. however, it is central to the engine and i could see the dci performing the necessary mental gymnastics to justify its banning.
Back to top Go down
JakeFaas
Admin
JakeFaas

PostSubject: Re: Rumors and whispers   Rumors and whispers EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 4:47 pm

The DCI does have a hard time justifying banning creatures however. I'm actually not sure of the last time they did (Kird Ape?) but i honestly can't think of another candidate to ban. The issue here is: Has caw-blade really gotten so out of control that people can't deal with it? I'd say Torpor Orb and Phyrexian Revoker both offer solid "f-you's" to caw blade. M12 is also just around the corner, perhaps we see a reappearance of pithing needle or some such? Lets not forget that Inquisition of Kozilek and Despise paired with Surgical Extraction make for a pretty upsetting turn one versus a caw-blade deck with no mental misstep. Just food for thought.
Back to top Go down
Ryman

Ryman

PostSubject: Re: Rumors and whispers   Rumors and whispers EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 10:26 am

Quote :
UW finally dominates the meta

...seriously? Wasn't u/w tapout on top awhile back, then straight up u/w control, and before that superfriends?

I agree batterskull wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't for the Mustic, along with reliably finding exactly what sword you need in each matchup. I've heard as a rule of thumb, don't ban the cards, just ban the tutors. I can see it justified.

Also, addressing the issue of not banning, rather printing cards that deal with problems that arise in the metagame. I think the lag-time between sets releasing and design is at least 2 years ahead of time, so it would be hard to predict exactly what the problems are going to be when designing cards and then printing answers. They can try to predict, but then you get Great Sable stag way too late to deal with stuff etc.

Back to top Go down
Ran

Ran

PostSubject: Re: Rumors and whispers   Rumors and whispers EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 6:01 pm

tapout was on top for a week. Jund was THE deck in that time. same goes for super friends. It was a Jund era.

I think I watched an interview with rosewater talking about set design and how they are years past the current meta. So very valid point Ryan Smile

But....

fuck everyone, leave Mystic alone!
Back to top Go down
Ryman

Ryman

PostSubject: Re: Rumors and whispers   Rumors and whispers EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 8:51 am

Haha

But, tell us how you REALLY feel Randy!

lol!
Back to top Go down
chops

chops

PostSubject: Re: Rumors and whispers   Rumors and whispers EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 11:12 pm

It would seem real silly to ban stone forge at this point...I agree with randy the run is over for caws and sticks...the deck will either have to change to beat vampires or loose to it thus making more people play vamps...either way the meta changes
I believe desciple of the vault or raverger were the last creatures banned
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rumors and whispers   Rumors and whispers Empty

Back to top Go down

Rumors and whispers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RMTG :: Standard-
Jump to: